Monday, August 31, 2009

A buddy for Bella

If there is one thing you should know about me, it's that I love animals. I love animals almost as much as I love life itself. And that goes for all animals, whether it be a cat, dog, skunk, squirrel, rat.... whatever, I love them all! I have great compassion for animals and I believe that animals were put on this Earth to bring us joy and companionship. I could not imagine my life without a pet. I truly feel bad for children and adults who grow up not knowing what it's like to have a pet as a family member. I think they miss out on learning how to love in a different way. I think animals depend on us, as highly intellectual humans, to care for them and to keep them safe. It saddens me like no other to see animals being abused, mistreated, or used for testing. Only a stupid person could treat an animal that way.

With that being said, Grant and I have a wonderful little Boston Terrier named Bella. Bella is a little over a year old and full of spunk! She's got lots of energy, and she's always making us laugh with the quirky things she does. And Bella loves, loves LOVES the dog park! I try to take her there at least once a week. She enjoys running around and playing with the other dogs her size. I've always thought it would be good for her to have a playmate, but we knew getting another dog while trying to plan a wedding was not an option. But now that we're married, I've really been hounding (pun intended, haha) Grant for another dog. He kept saying that we could get another dog once we get a bigger house with a fenced yard, but it's starting to look like that won't be for another 6 months or so and I want one like NOW! lol. Well last week Grant finally gave in and said that we could get another dog, but he had some stipulations. It has to be another Boston Terrier, it has to weight close to what Bella weights, and it has to be healthy. (She's small for a BT, only 15 lbs). I agreed to that. He would also really like a puppy and another girl, but those are things that might not happen. We are going to rescue one, and I am not going to narrow the choices down THAT much. Finding a girl puppy from a rescue place is near impossible, but I am trying to keep it under 2 yrs. That gives us quite a few more options.
So for the past week, I've been applying to all the local BT rescue groups, and I am happy to say that we have been approved at all the ones we've applied to so far! Now we just need to pick the perfect dog that will be a good fit for Bella, and go through the home visits that they require. I'm so excited! I can't wait to add another dog to our family, and give Bella a buddy to play with. We have a few dogs in mind, but we haven't met any yet. I'll keep everyone updated as things progress. :)


Disclaimer: For the people who know the story of Chassis: In no way, shape, or form has Bella replaced Chassis. I love Chassis dearly and I miss her and think about her everyday. She holds a very special place in my heart, and she'll never be forgotten. I still have dreams that one day she can be back in my life, but I know that might not be possible. :(

1 comment: